I love the browsing through knitty.com, an "ezine." When I saw this pattern, I couldn't wait to start. It's "Pomatamus" from Cookie A. I went through three different colors and two different needle sizes to get it right.
The pattern wasn't difficult, but you REALLY had to pay attention to what you were doing. I think that I have pretty much broken the record on frogging and starting over.
The photo never does the sock justice, but this project was made from Claudia Hand Painted Yarn in a red, pink, purple and navy blue colorway. It knitted up very nicely.
Hopefully you can see the fan motif on the socks. I continued the heel stitches with the motif by knitting into the back of the stitch and giving it that raised look. I also did the toe the same way. I'm not sure if the pattern called for it or not, as I never read heel or toe directions in any sock. I look forward to knitting another couple of pairs soon. At least one pair will be for me.