Sunday, December 29, 2013

Burburry Paid Forward

I had plenty of Lion Brand Chunky yarn from the Robin's Egg Hat project for my friend, Tracey.  I realized the best use for it would be to make something to go with the hat.  I found the "Burberry Inspired Cowl" on  It called for a silky yarn in a solid, but I'm very happy the way this turned out.  It's a very easy pattern to knit up.  You cast on 58 stitches in a provisional cast on and knit one long strip.  There are 16 stitch cables within the pattern to give it a "stacked" look.  This was not the first time I had done a provisional cast on.  I did use a super chunky yarn along with the working yarn.  If I were to do this again, I'd to the provisional cast on with two needles together.  By doing this, the live stitches at the bottom would be easier to pick up when you're done.  I thought it would call for a three needle bind off to connect the ends, but it had me do a kitchener stitch instead.  It was tedious, but worth the work when I saw the finished result.  I can't wait to give this to Tracey!!!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

It's Hip to Knit Hats

Through Ravelry I have discovered the hat designer Wooly Wormhead.  This designer makes the coolest hats.  The minute I got some extra money, I was purchasing four patterns from this designer.  This hat "Buzzba" is a cool earflap hat.  As usual, the picture doesn't do the pattern justice.  I knit it up Paton's Classic Wool, worsted weight with size 7 needles.  The pattern was very easy to follow and I was able to finish this project in just one evening.  It came in many sizes from child all the way to adult.

I did have to spend some time weaving in the ends, but it was well worth the time.  I have worn the hat to work and have received many compliments on it.  I am definitely going to be following this designer for more cool ideas. 

Monday, December 9, 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like....................

I don't usually consign, but when my co-worker asked me to do this for her, I couldn't resist.  Her daughter and partner had just adopted a beautiful baby boy and for their first Christmas with baby Jones, who could resist these cute stockings.  

I'm not sure where the pattern came from, but they worked up very easy.  After all, their just large socks.  However, I had one complaint; one stocking had a cool nordic snowflake design, but the pattern wasn't included in the pattern.  I had to search on for a nordic design.  I was having so much trouble doing the duplicate stitch that I just gave up and put a patchwork design on top, making a little pocket.  I think it looks rather nice.  

The name was to be embroidered, but I have no patience for that.  What I did instead was make a long, thin i-cord and tacked the name onto the stocking.  It's not perfect, but it's better than anything I could embroider.  I am hoping that the stockings are enjoyed for years to come.