Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sock Innovation - Rick

It's been a while since I've been working on the Sock Innovation Project.  A January surgery as well as full time classes sidelined me from working on the project. 

I made these Rick Socks with a nice red/orange colorway.  I like how the "racing stripes" came out.  The pattern was easy to work up.

In hindsight, I wish I had waited until my shoulder had healed more before I started the second sock.  The first sock was pre-surgery and the second-post surgery.  You can certainly tell which is which.  The second sock is a lot looser then the first.  While I do plan on doing this pattern again, I am tempted to rip out the other sock completely and start over.  We'll see if I have the nerve to that.  Coming next, Milo....................

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Aubrey's First Birthday

When Aubrey's first birthday came around, I couldn't resist making "Flo the Elephant."  

This pattern is free the e-zine and I have listed the link at the bottom of this post.  It calls for 100% Worsted Weight Wool.  Luckily I had some Paton's Classic wool left over from my "Alexandria's Blanket."  The pattern is very easy to follow as well as easy to work up.  As you can see, you knit up the separate pieces.

Once the pieces are done, you begin sewing it together.  At first I was a little apprehensive.  I don't know anyone who likes assembly.  However, because you do it a little at a time, it's not so bad.  Because it's a straight garter stitch pattern, it's easy to use the mattress stitch which gives you almost seamless joins.  You first sew the back down to almost the end of the trunk, then stuff the trunk.  Then you assemble the underbelly to the body and stuff some more.  You then sew up the legs and stuff again.  Once it's all assembled, you attach the pads of the foot the ears.

I used regular qualofill for the stuffing and you can really pack it in.  A good tip is to keep stuffing so that it can stand alone.

Once you have it all assembled, then you can add whatever embellishment you want.  You can attach flowers, or an initial in any complimentary or contrasting color.  I used some nice heathered blue from Paton's Classic Wool (again, left over from a previous project).  I used a blanket stitch around the feet and ears and a satin stitch for the eyes.

I just can't wait to present this to Aubrey's parents.  I have already received many compliments on this project and will probably do it again.