Sunday, November 30, 2014

Spreading Cheer with Wingspan


I have become obsessed with knitting shawlettes.  I had discovered the "Wingspan" from by maylin Tri'Coterie Designs on ravelry.com and had seen a finished version at the 2013 New York Sheep and Wool Festival.  I was given the pattern as a random gift and couldn't wait to get started.  My first attempt at this pattern was with Plymouth Stiletto in the Dillon colorway with Size 3 needles.  The 100g ball gave me the requisite eight "triangles," but the Size 3 needles made for a tighter fabric with not much drape.  

While the work was in progress, I had found the Plymouth Stiletto in the Villandry colorway and purchased two balls.  This time I used Size 4 needles and achieve the perfect weight and drape.  I began this project back in the early summer while on vacation.  While the pattern works up quickly and easily by using short rows which have always made me nervous.  However, the pattern provided a link to the German Short Row Pattern on youtube.com.  This method was extremely easy and left no gaps whatsoever.

This shawlette was a birthday present for my sister, but I do plan to make this again, mixing up the colorways to get different looks.

 

No comments: